3 March 2016

Gems from Job #6


Do you ever wonder what to say to someone who is hurting or going through a difficult time? Often all someone needs is sympathy and compassion---a hug, a card, a message to say you care, a listening ear or just being there for them. You don't have to say anything! You don't have to have the answers.
In the last year we've been through an unsettling time as we've had a baby that has needed a lot of hospital care.
I remember two particular times, when I was feeling a bit nervous before meeting with the doctors, friends texted me saying they were thinking of me. I shared with them just how I was feeling. I kind of expected them to text me back telling me how I should be feeling--that I shouldn't be worrying etc. which I already knew but is easier said than done. Instead they gave me sympathy and assured me that they would find it hard too! Instead of feeling condemned I felt encouraged.
It taught me a lesson. I don't need to know the answers; I don't need to know what to say. I just need to sympathize. There is a time for giving advice etc. but often sympathy will help more.
When your friend or someone you know is grieving or hurting, remember sympathy and love go a long way towards helping them feel better!
Job's friends meant well, but were a headache to Job rather than a blessing. They had no sympathy only judgment and 'answers.'

No comments:

Post a Comment